Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Twins Take on the DIY: Painted Pumpkins

Hi friends, it's me, Jess!  This year, I was looking for a way to change up our traditional Halloween decor, which is usually just a few orange pumpkins.  I thought that using craft paint would be an easy way to jazz up some little pumpkins and also change up the color scheme a little.  Finally, I thought this would be a fun activity that I could do alongside my kiddo.

First things first, we gathered our materials:


  • Acrylic craft paint (Available at Target or any craft store)
  • Small pumpkins (I couldn't find white ones, which would obviously be easier to paint.  Get them if you can, or just plan on doing more coats of paint)
  • Foam brushes 
  • Newspaper or tarp (to cover your table)
  • Paper plates
We decided to choose a color scheme for a more cohesive vintage look.  I chose a copper, shimmery white and a grey-green color.  Our procedure was pretty simple.  We used the paper plates as pallettes and then dipped our brushes in and painted.  We found that it was easier to start with thinner coats and then layer on more paint after a short drying time to get better coverage.  I started off drying to direct my preschooler to adhere to the color scheme, but her mixture of colors looked cool, so I just let her rock and roll.  





After they dried overnight, we displayed them in a little fall decor scene.



There ya have it!  Easy, cheap, fast and festive!  

Would you try painting pumpkins?  Let us know how it goes in the comments below and Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. I’m impressed! Here I thought Ryan was the crafty one in the family.

    ReplyDelete