Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Hi all, it's Jess, baking again, as usual.  My kiddo loves something sweet for breakfast, so I'm always trying to find recipes for breakfast baked goods that aren't loaded with butter and sugar.  After seeing this lemon blueberry cake from Real Simple pop up on Pinterest, I knew we had to try it!

First things first, we gathered all our ingredients, all of which we had in the pantry or freezer. (Mom tip--frozen berries are a freezer staple!)



Mix together your dry ingredients (I know the recipe is a little different, but I try to keep it as simple as possible on a Sunday) in a bowl.  You're going to add a tablespoon of flour to mix together with the blueberries.  This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.



Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.  I like to do this in my mixing bowl with the pouring spout, since it makes it easier to put into the pan.



Mix in your dry ingredients.  It will look a little thick at this point.  Then, stream in the oil as you whisk.  It might look like it's separated at first but will come together quickly.  Fold in the blueberries once it comes together.  Don't overmix it!



Sprinkle on the sugar, or you can be fancy like me and add cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Let it cool a little before removing it from the pan and enjoy!



This cake is so easy and you most likely have everything in your house already!  It definitely tastes like a pound cake but doesn't have that pound of butter!  I was thinking that it would be super simple to substitute in other flavors to change it up, too.  This summer, I'll definitely try subbing blackberries and lime for the blueberries and lemon!  Also, if you want to make up a batch of lemon sugar for sprinkling on top, it would reinforce the flavors deliciously!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment