Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Spring Sugar Cookies

Hi friends, it's me, Jess.  One of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is bake cookies.  Recently, I decided to make sugar cookies with my little gal when it was too stormy to go outside.  We usually do this only around Christmas time, because sugar cookies require a little more effort than good old Chocolate Chips.  However, I forgot how fun it can be cutting and decorating cookies!  It's not too complicated and creative and you can make seasonal or holiday themed treats!

To get started, you'll want to gather your recipe and ingredients.  There are a lot of great sugar cookie recipes out there, but my favorite one comes from Martha Stewart.  Whatever you choose, you'll want to make sure the recipe does not say "soft sugar cookies" as that dough most likely won't hold its shape enough to roll and cut.
Use real vanilla!  It makes a difference!

After you mix up your dough, make sure you chill it according to the recipe.  This also allows the dough to become firm enough to hold its shape while you cut and bake.  When I'm baking with my kiddo, I usually try to get the dough made up before her nap and then let it chill during nap time.  It's usually plenty of time and gives her something to look forward to post-nap.  

Once you're chilled, it's time to roll that dough out.  I personally prefer a French-style rolling pin without the handles, because it gives you more control.  I have this one and use it all the time.  I also like to roll on a long cutting board instead of my counter because I've found that cookie cutters have scratched my countertop. By all means, if you have a fancier counter than I do, you can skip this.


Now, it's time to cut!  This is where you can get seasonal or holiday themed.  There are so many adorable cookie cutters out there these days available anywhere from Etsy to your local grocery store.    We used these spring theme cutters. In the fall, I use footballs or leaves.  In the winter, of course, it's trees, wreaths and stockings.  Whatever fits your season or mood!


Time for decorating!  When I want something a little fancier, I will bake the cookies as is, and then add a tinted royal icing.  This makes for a pretty, shiny finish and a little added flavor.  However, I have found that toddlers and piping bags don't mix well!  When I'm working with kids, I stick to the basics, so we just use a variety of sprinkles.  If you're sprinkling, do it BEFORE baking. I have found that with a little one, it works best to pour sprinkles into small bowls and distribute them with a small spoon.  This helps get the sprinkles actually onto the cookies, not just on your cookie sheet (and counter, and floor...you get the idea...).

Bake them on a sheet tray (I prefer non-stick), cool and enjoy! 


How easy was that? In a matter of hours, you have delicious, cheerful cookies and you kept your child busy on a rainy day.  That's a #momwin if I ever had one.  Do you like sugar cookies?  Let us know if you give this recipe a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment