Monday, April 10, 2017

Twins Take On Travel: Denver

Ryan here!  I recently had the chance to spend a long weekend in Denver, and although I didn't have a ton of time to explore the city, I did visit a few places that I'd love check out again the next time I'm in town.  Here are some of my picks-

For a quick, tasty and healthy lunch, we hit up Colorado chain Tokyo Joe's.  My friends and I each built our own bowls of delicious and fresh meat and veggies, but the sushi and poke bowls also looked amazing.  They have outdoor seating looking out over this pedestrian mall-- the weather was a little cloudy here, but trust me, that day was gorgeous!



Hands down, our favorite Denver hangout was the Burnt Barrel.  It's a locally owned sports bar with a giant selection of craft beers and spirits.  The menu features classic bar favorites like wings, chicken fingers and burgers, and incorporates fresh locally sourced ingredients.  The service was great (Seriously, we had the most adorable and attentive waiter both times we visited-- we love you Trent!) and it was the perfect spot to watch a little college basketball and unwind after a long day.  At Happy Hour, try the handcrafted cocktails.  A few of my friends and I tried the Awesome Sauce (bourbon, raspberry puree, lemon, and a splash of club soda) and it was, as the name suggests, awesome.  If you're a beer drinker like my pals Danah and Jeannie, they also have a great selection of local brews on tap or bottled.

If you aren't renting a car for your stay, you can easily take Denver's light rail to and from the airport for only $9.  On the way, make sure you give yourself enough time to check out Union Station which features a combo of bars, restaurants and shopping.  Plus check out the decor!  The place looks straight out of a movie.  For real-


Next time I'd love to check out Milkbox Creamery- I noticed a sign that they have boozy milkshakes... ummm yes, please.

For lunch at Union Station, we hit up Mercantile Dining and Provision. The place is beautifully designed (check out the pics below) and it's one part coffee shop, one part bar, one part restaurant and one part market (featuring an amazing looking array of meats and cheeses).


I had the grilled cheese and with a side of house made truffle kettle chips and couldn't pass up a strawberry macron for dessert.



So there are a few of my Denver faves... what about you?  Let us know if you have any additional recommendations in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment