Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Rainy Day Funfetti Cookies

Hey there, it's Jess.  I know summer isn't exactly a typical time for baking, but on a recent rainy day, I was looking for an activity to do with the kiddo that would not involve watching Moana for the 50th time.  I checked back through my Pinterest page and found these Funfetti Sugar Cookies from the always great Cupcakes and Cashmere blog.  The original recipe is from the fantastic Gaby at What's Gaby Cooking (Seriously, you guys, her blog is straight up beautiful!)  I knew this would be just the project for a gloomy day AND I already had all the ingredients in our pantry.  Win, win!

You probably have all this stuff already!  
These cookies follow a traditional cookie method.  After creaming butter and sugar together, you'll mix in the eggs and vanilla.  My tip is that I always crack the eggs into a separate bowl (in case I get any shells) and whisk them with a fork a little before combining.  I find this helps incorporate them more quickly.  

Mix it up!
Then mix in the dry ingredients.  Again, I always mix them together first, to speed up the process.  This is especially helpful if you (like me) are baking with a somewhat impatient toddler who keeps demanding to "add the sprinkles, now!"  Also, don't over mix at this stage, you don't want to develop the gluten too much or you'll get harder cookies.  Now, it's time for the sprinkles!

Sprinkle City, here we come!
Mix them in and then chill your dough.  This was kind of annoying, but it will help the cookies keep their shape while baking.  The recipe recommends at least two hours of chilling time.  We stuck with "the length of a toddler nap", which as just shy of that amount. (Yes, my three year old still naps everyday!  #blessed!)

Just chillax!
After chilling, you'll scoop and roll the dough into balls.  My kid was totally into this part, until I told her that she couldn't eat it just yet.  Anyway, once you're here, you'll need to chill them again for about 15 minutes.  Although these are going to be those spread out bakery-style sugar cookies, you don't want them to spread out too much.  I tried to speed this up by chilling in the freezer, but I'd say my later batches were more successful.  

Chill again! (I know...)
Finally, you're ready to bake these babies for 9-11 minutes (or 12 if you're using the convection setting).  Cool them on the tray for a couple of minutes before removing them to cool on a wire rack. At last, it's cookie time!

At last--cookie success!
They were crispy, sugary and a hit with everyone in our household!  Give them a try the next time you're stuck inside on a rainy day and let us know how you like them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment