Monday, May 15, 2017

DIY Painted Ceramic Planters

Hi friends, it's Jess here.  Now that it's warm outside, my thoughts of home decor have extended to our curb appeal and front yard.  When we moved into our house many years ago, the previous owners had two large ceramic planters flanking the front porch.  Over the years, we've used these planters for pretty annual plants, but I've always hated the boring color.  This summer, armed with a little Pinterest inspiration, I decided to do something about it!

Here's what they started off as:



I decided to choose a paint color that I found more pleasing than the current color (I guess one would call this rust?)  Spray paint seemed to be the best paint for the job because I need good coverage that will stand up to the elements outside.  I wanted high-gloss both for the durability and the look.  We did check and Lowes had a great selection of high-gloss spray paints from Rust-Oleum.  However, I had some paint leftover in the garage from a previous project, so I chose this bright blue.



My next step was to clean out the pots.  I started by emptying out any dirt and flowers leftover from last year.  Then I gave the pots a good washing, using a little Mrs. Meyer's Multi-Surface Cleaner diluted in a bucket of water and a sponge. Then I made sure the pots were nice and dry, leaving them out in the sun for a while.  You better believe these things were pretty dirty after sitting outside for the past several years!

On to the paint!  I waited for a sunny, not-too-windy day so I could do the painting outside.  You want to get outside because spray paint fumes are no joke.  I also wore gloves and sunglasses to protect my manicure and eyes.  I spread an old cardboard box (you could use a paint tarp if you're fancy) on the driveway (to protect it from any errant paint) and got to work.  I gave the outside of the pots an even coat, trying to prevent the paint from being too thick or thin anywhere.  Then, I let the pots dry for the recommended 5 minutes before spraying again.



After drying for a few minutes, I sprayed any bald spots, trying to ensure even coverage and a smooth finish.  I think one of the keys here is making sure to allow the paint to dry completely before moving on to the next coat (just like nail polish).  For me, I did 4 coats in some places, but you might need more/less, depending on the paint colors you're using and your base color.



Finally, I filled the planters with potting soil and put in a few colorful annual flowers and some mulch.  Check here for some tips for planting containers.  Plant and water your plants and voila!  Curb appeal success!!







Would you ever try painting ceramic containers?  Let us know what you think in the comments below!






No comments:

Post a Comment