Thursday, May 4, 2017

Twins Take on Entertaining: Kentucky Derby Party!


Ryan here.  Anyone who knows me knows I have always loved the Kentucky Derby (I got it from my mama who loves it too!)  Last year, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to see it in person.  Yes, that picture above is actually one I took during the actual Run for the Roses!

The First Saturday in May is this weekend, and even if you can't make it to Churchill Downs, you can still have a great time watching with family and friends at home.   Here are a few recipes and tips so that your pals will feel like they're deep in the heart of My Old Kentucky Home...

Step One:  Drinks!

Everyone knows you can't do the Derby without a Mint Julep.  This traditional cocktail is simple to make and doesn't require a lot of fancy ingredients.   Here's the classic recipe-- feel free to use whatever bourbon you like.  I'm partial to Bulleit (we visited the distillery when we were in town and it was awesome), but some other great reasonably priced brands are Evan Williams and Buffalo Trace.

For folks who aren't bourbon fans, in addition to Mint Juleps, they also served the Lily, the official drink of the Kentucky Oaks (which takes place the day before the Derby).  Believe me, they are quite tasty and refreshing on a warm spring day.

Step Two:  The Menu

At my Derby parties, I like to serve some of my favorite Southern dishes.  Some of the greatest hits over the years include:

Step Three: Ambiance

You don't have to know what a boxed trifecta is to make a friendly wager on the Derby.  Believe me, it took a day's worth of betting (along with some serious assistance from our cashier at the betting window and my BFF's dad, Bob) before we got the hang of it.  However, at home, all you need to do is to print a list of the Field and let your guests pick their favorite.  Whether you decide based on hours of research or if you simply go by name or colors, having someone to cheer for for always makes the 2 minute Derby more fun.  If you want to get fancy, here's a quick reference guide to some popular betting terminology.

Since the Derby is also known as the Run for the Roses, decorations are easy.  Just pick up some red roses at your local grocery store or Trader Joe's and you are good to go.  If you have them, I think it's cute to put the flowers in metal julep cups.

Finally, one of the best parts of the Derby was dressing up (check out my outfit below), so ask your guests to come in their Derby finest.  Think seersucker, florals, linen, pastels, bow ties, and HATS. 


We'd love to hear your Derby Day faves in the comments below.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment