Monday, March 6, 2017

Twins Take on Jewelry: Simple vs. Statement

We are pretty similar in many aspects of our style (Hello, stripes!) but one main difference in our signature styles is our taste in jewelry.  Ryan likes to stick with simple, classic pieces and Jess likes to incorporate statement pieces.  Here are some of our favorite simple or statement jewelry sources and items.  Once again, we aren't sponsored at all, we just love this stuff!

SIMPLE (Ryan)


1. When you're wearing simple pieces, customizing them with sentimental details is a great way to show your individuality.  My bestie lives in Seattle, and last year I gifted her with a personalized Lat and Lo Bar Necklace, inscribed with the coordinates of where I live (and got myself one with her coordinates too).  You can choose the location of any special place on earth (like the beach where you and your love got engaged, the city where you went to college, the house where you grew up, etc.) and anytime you wear it, it's like a piece of that place (or special person) is with you.

2 and 3.  Catbird NYC is one of my favorite sources for delicate, dainty, and beautiful everyday accessories.  I love that their jewelry is made in their Brooklyn studio, with recycled or fair-trade gold and all of the stones they use are conflict-free.  They even donate minimum 1% of all their sales to a variety of charities, chosen by their employees!  I wear this delicate gold Mignon Memory Ring on my index finger and get tons of compliments on it. I love that it comes in a variety of sizes so you can wear it as a "first knuckle ring" or get a larger size and wear it as a traditional ring like I do.  I have also been dying to get this ear cuff-- it reminds me of the best of the 90's when I rocked flannels around my waist and more hoop earrings than you could count!  Ah, the good old days.

4. Another great site for handcrafted and personalizable (is that a word?) jewelry is Three Sisters Jewelry.  The company's founder Zoe combines feminine styles with a little bit of edge to create gorgeous modern heirloom quality pieces.  (Plus, she even included a handwritten thank you note with everything I've ordered-- and anyone who knows me knows I am a sucker for a good thank you note!)  I love this rose gold crescent moon necklace on its own or layered with a couple of other necklaces (see #6 below).

5.  Bauble Bar has been one of our favorite places for years, and their SUGARFIX by Bauble Bar line for Target is no exception.  I have been rocking these Crystal Crawler Earrings for the last couple of weeks and love that they are on trend but still look classy and elegant.

6. Gorjana is one of my go-tos for simple, timeless jewelry that is beautiful layered or worn on its own.  Most of their items come in silver, yellow or rose gold, which gives you the chance to mix things up (if you agree with me that mixed metals are where its at-- even if our mom isn't quite on board with the trend yet!)  This long lariat necklace is one I've been coveting.  Too bad our birthday is almost an entire year away!


STATEMENT (Jess)


1. and 2.  One of my favorite sources for statement jewelry is Kendra Scott.  Her pieces are classic and well made at a fairly reasonable price point.  Kendra is a mom and entrepreneur whose company employs 98% women!  She also prioritizes philanthropy, partnering with local and national charities.  Kendra's work is unique and high quality, definitely worth investing in!  I recently received this Beatrice necklace as a Christmas present (Thanks, Babe!) and rock these Elle earrings on a bi-weekly basis.  I find the coolest part about these items is that they elevate even a simple outfit with just one add-on.  I'm all about a simple t-shirt/boyfriend jeans plus statement necklace everyday look.  There's a reason why one of my students once told me I had a "dazzling array of giant necklaces".

3. and 4. Not all statement jewelry has to be expensive!  Baublebar is one of my favorite sources for trendy and affordable pieces.  Ry and I discovered Baublebar back in 2011 right as it was getting off the ground.  What's not to love about a company created by two friends who were looking to create statement jewelry that wouldn't break the bank?  I'm sure you've seen these Piñata Tassel earrings all over the blogosphere, but they're sooooo great in person and come in a ton of colors.  This necklace is everything with a tank dress or plain t-shirt.  I didn't include it, but I've had my eye on this Seaglass Bib (Mother's Day, perhaps?)

5. Kate Spade gives me the chance to combine my love of statement pieces with a class, preppy look. I received my first pair of Square Studs as a gift and loved them immediately.  These glitter ones go with so many outfits and add a "piece of flair" (Name that movie?) to everyday.  Kate also has some awesome necklace options.  I have this beaded bow necklace in navy blue, which doesn't seem to be available anymore, but the red is so cute, too.  I wore mine to a 4th of July BBQ with a white tank and got tons of compliments.

6.  Now I bet some of you are thinking, "Hey, that Alex and Ani bracelet looks pretty delicate to me.  I thought this was a statement list?"  Well, I suppose you're right at first glance.  However, I think that Alex and Ani provides the perfect opportunity to combine simple bracelets into A Stack of Awesomeness.  I currently wear five together on a daily basis (Yes, Ry and I wear the best friends--I'm "Friends" and she's "Best!") and I like how they represent different parts of my life and personality.  Alex and Ani creates eco-conscious, American made products is so many styles and finishes that it's hard to choose!  I'm sentimental about my Mom bracelet, which I received on my first Christmas after having our daughter and love representing the Maize and Blue with this one.

What's your signature jewelry style: simple or statement?  What are your favorite pieces from each category?  Tell us in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment